National / International News
The first issue of Charlie Hebdo published after last week's attacks hit newsstands in France today. The 3 million copies essentially sold out within hours.
Would-be readers in the U.S. will likely have a tougher time finding a copy. They also might want to brush up on their French.
The magazine's distributor in the U.S. and Canada says just 300 untranslated copies will be sold here.
They'll arrive Friday morning on an Air France flight, CNN says.
It’s yet another sign of the growing distance between old and new media.
Many of the established stalwarts — including The New York Times, NBC News, CNN and NPR — declined to publish an image of the cover of the latest issue of Charlie Hebdo, the one featuring a caricature of the prophet Mohammed holding a sign reading ‘Je Suis Charlie’ under the words ‘All is Forgiven.’ The cover, of course, is a response to the terrorist attack against the satirical magazine one week ago that killed 12 people, including its editor and five of its top cartoonists.
Most digital news outlets, meanwhile, rushed the image onto the Internet yesterday, after the magazine released it a day ahead of publication. The Daily Beast, Huffington Post, Yahoo.com and MSN.com were among the sites prominently displaying it.
“We didn't even consider not publishing the new cover,” says Max Fisher, director of content at the news site Vox. “These cartoons have major news value as they are an important part of this story, so we feel it's part of our jobs to provide them to readers.”
Marketplace editors determined that the cover was of significant enough news value to warrant publication on Marketplace.org.Pascal Le Segretain/Getty Images
The split isn’t absolute: The Washington Post and The Wall Street Journal used the cover, for instance. But many old-media editors argued that the decision not to publish came down to a matter of taste.
“Many Muslims consider publishing images of their prophet innately offensive and because we do not normally publish images or other material deliberately intended to offend religious sensibilities, we have refrained from publishing these images of Mohammed,” a spokeswoman for The New York Times told Marketplace.
That decision was controversial within the Times itself.
“The new cover image of Charlie Hebdo is an important part of a story that has gripped the world’s attention over the past week,” wrote Margaret Sullivan, the newspaper’s Public Editor in a piece published online Wednesday morning. “The cartoon itself, while it may disturb the sensibilities of a small percentage of Times readers, is neither shocking nor gratuitously offensive. And it has, undoubtedly, significant news value.”
What’s behind the split?
“There’s no question that there is evidence of a digital divide between legacy news brands and digital first news in publishing the cartoons,” says John Avlon, editor-in-chief of The Daily Beast. “I think the primary reason is due to the more bureaucratic, culturally cautious nature of older news brands versus the more aggressive and, in this case, principled stand that the younger generation of news brands felt free to pursue.”
What do the experts think? “Personally, I think that this new Charlie Hebdo cover easily passes the test for a newsworthy image,” says Bruce Shapiro, executive director of the Dart Center for Journalism and Trauma at Columbia University. “Come on: How Charlie Hebdo grapples with the murders of its editors and artists is of a matter of unquestionable political importance and cultural significance. It is also the truest test of satire--finding an image that is potent, compassionate and relevant in the face of unspeakable horror. This cover is news, pure and simple.”
After an initial print run of three million copies, partly funded by Google, Charlie Hebdo has gone back to press. The magazine is being distributed in 25 countries and translated into 16 languages, including Arabic. Charlie Hebdo’s normal print run is some 60,000 copies.
The president is asking the agency to address state laws that could inhibit competition for high-speed Internet service. The move could draw opposition from major cable and Internet companies.
Community groups getting federal funds to reduce hospital readmissions made improvements, an early evaluation finds. The experiment will run for five years.